Year 2 SHSS students will not be participating in the AY2022S2, 27 - 29 September 2022 online GSM registration exercise. Due to the varying clinical schedules, Year 2 SHSS students will be selecting & registering their GSMs from a separate list of specially-planned SHSS modules to accommodate their clinical placements. Students will be notified, via email, of the registration dates for these specially-planned SHSS GSMs.
For clarification and enquiries, SHSS students may consult their PEM / Course Manager / SHSS GSM Co-ordinator.
- Number of GSMs to be Taken in Year 2
- Prescribed GSMs
- GSM Hours/Credit/Assessments
- Elective GSMs on Offer in Year 2
- GSM Weekly Timetable for AY2022S2
- Registration of Elective GSMs
- [Important] GSM Selection Exercise
- [Important] Registration Period for Year 2 Elective GSMs
- Posting of GSM Allocation
- Venues for Elective GSMs
- School GSM Staff Contacts
All Year 2 students will be required to take TWO Prescribed GSMs (Personal Career Strategy 2 and Respect in Relationships) and TWO Elective GSMs in the entire academic year. Depending on your school’s arrangement for your diploma/programme, you will have to take the following combination in either Semester 1 or 2:
- Personal Career Strategy 2 (PCS2) + One Elective GSM
- Respect in Relationships (RiR) + One Elective GSM
- Personal Career Strategy 2 (PCS2) + Respect in Relationships (RiR) OR
- Two Elective GSMs
If you have any queries, please check with your course manager for more information. Some of you may have also taken GSMs while on overseas immersion programmes in Year 1. In this case, please also check with your course manager on the number of modules you need to register for in Year 2.
You will not be required to select the Year 2 Prescribed GSMs as these modules will be automatically registered for you. You should be able to see these modules in your timetable. The PCS2 and RiR module codes are [school prefix followed by 298 / 296]. For example, SBM’s PCS2 and RiR module codes would be BMX298 and BMX296.
All GSMs will be conducted on campus for AY2022S2 and will start in Week 2.
All GSMs will be graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
All GSMs do not have end-of-semester examinations. However, you will be assessed on a continual basis throughout the semester via written tests, quizzes, individual or group projects/reports.
To allow for students to take GSMs beyond their domain discipline, there will be a pool of Elective GSMs on offer. You will be doing GSMs offered by other schools and the Centre for Foundation & General Studies (CFGS).
You may refer to the Year 2 Elective GSMs list for the descriptions of the modules.
|Tuesday (Time Slot 1)||Tuesday (Time Slot 2)||Tuesday (Time Slot 3)||Tuesday (Time Slot 4)|
2pm - 3pm
3pm - 4pm
4pm - 5pm
5pm - 6pm
Do note that a number of Elective GSMs may have more than 1 module group per week and lessons may be conducted across any one of the 4 GSM time slots. You can select one of the module groups that fits your preference.
If you are selecting TWO Elective GSMs this semester, please check the timings to avoid timetabling conflict.
You will have to use your NYP Student Portal and access the Student Information Management System (SIMS) for registration. During registration, you will be able to view all Elective GSMs offered by other schools and the Foundation & General Studies (FGS) department.
You may wish to refer to the following step-by-step guide for registering the Elective GSMs.
GENESSYS - A Rank & Allocate System
Students will pre-select 12 preferred GSMs and their corresponding time slots during the exercise (ranked from 1 to 12). The system then allocates based on the student's ranked choices and the demand and availability of the module vacancies.
If a GSM is over-subscribed, the system will look at each learner’s average nett GSM attendance percentage for the last 2 semesters to determine allocation.
A learner with a higher GSM attendance rate for the last 2 semesters is more likely to be given the module versus another learner with a lower attendance rate.
How Does It Work
- Maintain regular attendance of GSM classes
- A healthy attendance rate gives you a higher chance of securing your choice GSM (especially for popular modules / modules with limited vacancies)
- Nett GSM attendance % will be considered (you are not penalised for missed lessons due to valid reasons)
For more information on GENESSYS, click here.
|Schools||Date / Time Open||Date / Time Close|
All schools (except SHSS students)
Tuesday, 27 Sep 2022 / 0900 hrs
Thursday, 29 Sep 2022 / 1000 hrs
- All students will pre-select a number of desired elective GSM choices by using GENESSYS (General Studies Selection System).
- GENESSYS will review your ranked choices and allocate module/s and time slots to you taking into consideration your choice ranking, time slots, demand and availability of module vacancies.
- You will be able to select modules offered by other schools or CFGS (Centre for Foundation & General Studies).
- Here are the modules offered in all 3 groups.
|Group||Modules offered by||What you need to choose (total of 12 choices)||Choice Number|
2 choices (module/preferred time slots)
1 to 9
4 choices (module/preferred time slots)
1 to 9
3 choices (module/preferred time slots)
1 to 9
1 to 3
3 choices from any module/preferred time slots
10 to 12
- The first 9 choices (Choice 1 to 9) have to come from Group 1 (2 choices), Group 2 (4 choices) and Group 3 (3 choices) in any order of preference.
- For each choice, you will need to select your preferred module and preferred time slot.
- If you prefer Module A and it is offered in more than one time slot, you can also select them as separate choices (e.g., Choice 1 = Module A/Time Slot 1 and Choice 2 = Module A/Time Slot 2).
- The last 3 choices can be from any module/preferred slots from any of the 3 Groups.
For more information on how to do your selection using GENESSYS, click here.
In the event you experience any difficulty in accessing the NYP network during registration, please contact your school’s GSM representative or i@Central hotline at 6451 5115.
If you did not select your Elective GSMs during the registration period, GENESSYS will automatically register you into GSMs with available vacancies.
Advice on GSM Selection
- Please take time to review the module description and determine which module/s appeal to your interest.
- When accessing the Student Portal, please ensure you are in a location with good internet access so that you can complete the registration smoothly.
- As some GSM vacancies are limited, it will be good for you to identify a basket of modules and prioritise your choice during the selection exercise.
- Remember the GSM selection exercise dates and mark it in your calendar. If you miss the selection, you will be assigned to GSM/s with remaining vacancies.
- You will be able to see and select the Elective GSMs offered to your school except those from your own school.
- Each module selection will have the available time slots shown. You will need to indicate your preferred time slots for every choice.
- Once you have selected your 12 choices, please remember to click the “Submit” button” and log off from the Student Portal.
- As long as the system is open during the selection period, you may enter to make changes and resubmit your choices.
- If you have any doubts on GSM matters, please speak to your personal mentor, course manager or School GSM representative.
- In the event if any module group is undersubscribed (i.e., too few students to start a class), you may be advised to switch to another module group or be requested to select another available module.
- If you are taking 2 GSMs this semester, please select different time slots for the various modules.
- General Studies Selection System (GENESSYS) FAQs
Posting of GSM Allocation
The allocation of GSM/s will be confirmed a week before the semester begins.
Please check and print your timetable to view the GSM/s you have been allocated.
Venues for Elective GSMs
All GSMs will be conducted on campus for AY2022 Sem 2. The venue location will be indicated on your timetable.
Lessons begin in Week 2.